Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Tips for Saving Money on Heating Bills This Winter
Many people find it hard to save money on their heating bills during the winter, especially if it’s an especially brutal one. While air conditioning bills can total hundreds of dollars a month, heating bills can typically become even more expensive on a monthly basis. This is because there is often more energy required to … Continue reading Tips for Saving Money on Heating Bills This Winter
Drain Cleaning is Best Left to the Professionals
Those seeking a Richmond plumber need look no further. Here at Tap Roots Plumbing & Heating, we offer drain cleaning services, remedying clogged drains with the utmost professionalism. From sinks to toilets, a clogged drain is not only inconvenient, it can also cause expensive water damage to your home if left untreated. There are many … Continue reading Drain Cleaning is Best Left to the Professionals
Vancouver Saves Energy with Geothermal Heat Pumps & Energy Star Appliances
When the heating technicians at Tap Roots perform heating installations in Vancouver, BC and the surrounding areas, we not only want to install the heating unit that will make our customers the most warm and comfortable, but also the heating unit that will help them to save energy for years to come. There are, of … Continue reading Vancouver Saves Energy with Geothermal Heat Pumps & Energy Star Appliances