Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Is Furnace Repair a Good Option for an Old Heating Unit?
Around the holidays, money can be especially hard to come by. After planning family get-togethers and gift-giving, you may not have enough left over to replace a dying furnace unexpectedly. But replacement might not be your only option. At Tap-Roots we offer affordable furnace repair services that might be able to salvage a little more … Continue reading Is Furnace Repair a Good Option for an Old Heating Unit?
Drain Tiles – What Are They and how do They Work?
Drain tiles are essentially drainage systems whose main function is to manage excess water that builds up around a property. They also have a variety of different uses in both the construction and agricultural fields. When it comes to residential use, most people in the construction industry consider drain tiles to be the ideal solution … Continue reading Drain Tiles – What Are They and how do They Work?
Ways to Unclog a Clog
Having clogged drains in your home can be a real problem, causing a mess and the inconvenience of a sink or tub out of commission. Here at Tap-Roots Plumbing & Heating, we know how frustrating it can be for homeowners, and we’d like to give you a few tips for unclogging your slow drains. 4 … Continue reading Ways to Unclog a Clog