Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
February 9, 2016
- Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down.
- Paper towel
- Oil, grease, fat
- Large bones
- Heavy compost materials
- Coffee grounds
- Fibrous materials
- Expandable foods
- Liquids meant to clear your drain (they will weaken your pipes in the long run)
- Hazardous materials
- Small toys
- Baby wipes, feminine hygiene products
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Q-Tips / Cotton swabs
2) Call us before the problem gets big. Regular maintenance is important, and small things can get big fast, causing water damage, inconvenience, and other problems. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency.
3) Know your house. Keep an eye out for leaky faucets, old plumbing, and poor water pressure. This will help you spot potential problems before they happen.
4) Clean your drains – but not with chemical drain cleaners. Ask your plumber about a natural alternative or try hot water.
5) Watch the weather! Never turn off the heat if you live in a cold place (you might cause the water pipes to burst). If you have old pipes, ensure that they are insulated from the effects of cold weather.
6) Send cold (not hot) water down your garbage disposal when in use. Grind lemon and ice in garburator once a week.
7) Use mesh screens to protect drains from particles in the kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as the tub.
By following these tips, you can keep your plumbing happy and efficient. Remember: call us if you need help. It’s better to fix the problem right away than to wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Common Boiler Issues worth Knowing About in Metro Vancouver, BC Boiler breakdowns are normally expensive inconveniences, and by some sort of coincidences, most of them normally occur during winter when they are needed the most. In as much as there are certain boiler problems which can be addressed without the need to call boiler repair … Continue reading Boiler Repair
Benefits of Drain Cleaning in Your Home
Home plumbing systems are very important for the health, safety, and comfort of you and your family. Regular maintenance of your plumbing system ensures that it will function properly and serve your family the way it should. A plumbing issue you may face periodically is a clogged drain. Regular drain cleaning can be very beneficial … Continue reading Benefits of Drain Cleaning in Your Home
The Benefits of Repairing Your AC Unit
If your air conditioner isn’t operating like it should, then chances are you’re saddled with expensive energy bills due to poor cooling throughout your home during the summer months. Although this can be a sign that it’s time to get a new air conditioner, sometimes all that’s needed it a quick fix. When your AC … Continue reading The Benefits of Repairing Your AC Unit