Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Top Tips for Winterizing Your Home’s Plumbing
Winter comes with many challenges. You will have to live with the cold for a couple of months and pay more for home heating. If you also did not put in measures to protect your plumbing, then you will have a number of burst pipes to deal with. Before winter sets in, it is paramount … Continue reading Top Tips for Winterizing Your Home’s Plumbing
Using Natural Gas for Your Business’ Heating Needs
A Benefits of Natural Gas for Commercial Heating With natural gas, there is no risk of running out of fuel for heating. The reliable and consistent supply of natural gas is not dependent on the weather or a power company for delivery. The instant heat means no waiting for a system to start up and … Continue reading Using Natural Gas for Your Business’ Heating Needs
Vancouver Saves Energy with Geothermal Heat Pumps & Energy Star Appliances
When the heating technicians at Tap Roots perform heating installations in Vancouver, BC and the surrounding areas, we not only want to install the heating unit that will make our customers the most warm and comfortable, but also the heating unit that will help them to save energy for years to come. There are, of … Continue reading Vancouver Saves Energy with Geothermal Heat Pumps & Energy Star Appliances