Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Natural Gas Service Ensures a Safe System in Your Home
Natural gas is a great energy source for your home. Natural gas is a hydrocarbon gas found in the earth that is primarily composed of methane and is often used as a way to heat your home as well as generate electricity for your household needs. Maintaining the natural gas system in your home is … Continue reading Natural Gas Service Ensures a Safe System in Your Home
Get Air Conditioner Service in Vancouver Before the Spring Rush!
How confident are you that your AC unit will last through this coming summer? If you have any concerns about your air conditioning system, the time to get AC service is now! At Tap Roots, we like to get our customers set for the hot weather before spring is in full swing so that they … Continue reading Get Air Conditioner Service in Vancouver Before the Spring Rush!
Is Your Home’s Water Pressure Too Low?
Many homeowners have dealt with low water pressure in the house at least once. The experience is not something to look forward to because it makes simple daily activities like showering and washing frustrating. While this is a common plumbing problem, the real challenge is identifying its cause. Let’s take a look at some of … Continue reading Is Your Home’s Water Pressure Too Low?