Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Plumber Richmond BC
How To Save Plumbing Costs in Richmond BC If you usually experience consistent issues with your plumbing system, then you will agree that the cost can sometimes skyrocket and it can turn out to be a very expensive affair. In as a much as you desire to find immediate solution to your plumbing problems the … Continue reading Plumber Richmond BC
Performing Routine Plumbing Inspections Decreases Plumbing Problems in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
They say that April showers can bring May flowers, but they don’t tell you they can also highlight plumbing problems. The sunshine of spring provides a great opportunity to examine your home’s plumbing for a variety of potential problems. In order to help our clients this spring, Tap Roots Plumbing wanted to offer a simple … Continue reading Performing Routine Plumbing Inspections Decreases Plumbing Problems in Your Vancouver or Richmond, BC Home or Business
How Does Pipe Re-lining Work?
Pipe re-lining is a process that repairs your damaged sewage pipes without having to dig up any drains. Instead of digging a wide and unnecessary long trench, professionals use the new pipe re-lining technology which doesn’t require much digging and is much stronger than the current method of pipe replacement. During a pipe re-lining procedure, … Continue reading How Does Pipe Re-lining Work?