Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
Keeping Drafty Days at Bay With Regular Heater Maintenance
Autumn brings many magnificent things: beautiful fall colors, rich and wonderful foods, and cozy evenings snuggled up with a blanket and a mug of hot cider just to name a few. What it also brings is cooler temperatures and the need to use the furnace again. It can be a harsh shock when you go … Continue reading Keeping Drafty Days at Bay With Regular Heater Maintenance
Ways to Unclog a Clog
Having clogged drains in your home can be a real problem, causing a mess and the inconvenience of a sink or tub out of commission. Here at Tap-Roots Plumbing & Heating, we know how frustrating it can be for homeowners, and we’d like to give you a few tips for unclogging your slow drains. 4 … Continue reading Ways to Unclog a Clog
Drain Tiles – What Are They and how do They Work?
Drain tiles are essentially drainage systems whose main function is to manage excess water that builds up around a property. They also have a variety of different uses in both the construction and agricultural fields. When it comes to residential use, most people in the construction industry consider drain tiles to be the ideal solution … Continue reading Drain Tiles – What Are They and how do They Work?