Easy Disposal Maintenance Tips
May 22, 2013
At Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating, we see a lot of broken and worn out garbage disposals on our rounds. Sadly, most of the damage we take care of on a regular basis can be easily prevented. In fact, proper garbage disposal maintenance can go a long way towards making sure that you don't have to pay expensive plumbing repair fees. Use the following tips to help keep your disposal in top shape.
- Always feed food into the disposal as slowly as you can. This will ensure that the blades can do what they are meant to do without getting jammed or overwhelmed.
- Ice can make a huge difference in how well your garbage disposal works. Once every four weeks or so, dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink and let the blades run. After the ice has been reduce to slush, pour cold water down the disposal to clear the way. At this point, consider dropping a lemon peel down the disposal to keep the blades clean and the smell sweet.
- When you are running the garbage disposal, only use cold water. Hot water will liquefy any grease in your pipes, making it easier for it to stick to the blades and the moving mechanisms when it cools as it travels down the pipes.
- A half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar poured into the drain make for an excellent cleaner and deodorizer. Remember that you should always rinse this solution with some hot water afterwards, which will help you clear out any remaining sediment or foam. This is a great and cheap way to clean things out.
- On a daily basis, just run the disposal the way that you normally would, adding soapy water every few times. The soapy water is often enough to keep the garbage disposal clear on a day to day basis.
While it’s possible to treat small jams on your own simply by resetting the machine, don't take the risk of ruining the entire machine by attempting major repairs yourself. Call a Richmond plumber at Tap-Roots Plumbing and Heating whom you trust to take on issues that seem larger. Call 604-222-1282.
The Importance of Regular Air Conditioner Maintenance
Over the course of the cooling season, your air conditioner loses some of its efficiency due to loosened belts and electrical connections as well as dust buildup and standard wear on your equipment. A neglected air conditioner uses up to 25% more energy than a well-maintained system. Annual air conditioner maintenance can save you money … Continue reading The Importance of Regular Air Conditioner Maintenance
When to Consider Upgrading Your Air Conditioner
If your current air conditioner just doesn’t seem to cut it anymore, it may be time to consider an AC upgrade. Signs Your AC is Failing If your air conditioner requires very frequent repairs, it may not be suited to your home. Likewise, if your cooling bills continue to rise despite professional intervention, your heating, … Continue reading When to Consider Upgrading Your Air Conditioner
Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy
Teach your kids (and yourself) what is okay to go down the drain. Many people treat garburators and toilets like Herculean entities that can handle all manner of objects and liquids, but that is not the case. Just because it went down once doesn’t mean you should continue flushing it down. Things to avoid: Glass … Continue reading Tips to Keep Your Plumbing Happy